HobaCare Jojoba is a “fixative”. While it has a mild, almost imperceptible scent of its own, it takes on the scent of its immediate environment. After HobaCare has been in your skin for a minute or two, you will not perceive its scent, only your own.
Likewise, HobaCare Jojoba fixes, or makes permanent, the scent of essential oils you add to it. This characteristic makes HobaCare an ideal carrier or base for essential oils and perfumes. Adding essential oils to HobaCare enriches one’s experience with the product, whether it is used for skin, scalp, hair, massage or any of the other applications described on this web-site.
Unlike carrier oils, such as sweet almond or grapeseed, HobaCare does not become rancid. Also unlike other carriers, HobaCare mixes naturally with our skin’s fluid; it does not stay on top of the skin but penetrates it, carrying the essential oils with it into the skin.
Aromatherapy has been cheapened in recent years by mass marketers attempts to cash in on a renaissance of appreciation of plants and our connections to them. There are now many so-called “aromatherapy” products on the market that have about as much relevance to true aromatherapy as tin does to gold. Most of them carry synthetic fragrances, which do more harm than good. None of these counterfeit products get to the true character or aromatherapy, which is not just about smelling something. Genuine Aromatherapy is more ethereal and diffuse. It goes to the heart of the chemistry of the plants and their effects on our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual consciousness.
As a general rule, the following proportions are recommended for aromatherapy recipes using jojoba:
- General Massage and Face Recipes: 20 to 25 drops of essential oil (or combination of essential oils) to 100ml (approx. 6 3/4 Tablespoons) HobaCare Jojoba
- Massage of Specific Body Areas: 35 drops of essential oil (or combination of essential oils) to 100ml (approx. 6 3/4 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba
- Bath: 20 drops of essential oil (or combination of essential oils) to 60ml (approx. 4 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba
- Hair: 50 drops of essential oil (or combination of essential oils) to 70ml (approx. 4 3/4 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
Write on the bottle containing the recipe, the name of the essential oil(s), the date, and the purpose for which the recipe was made.
For best results store the mixtures in dark, closed, glass bottles or in glass bottles that are stored away from the light. Essential oils are light sensitive and lose their effectiveness with prolonged exposure to the air.
We have taken the following aromatherapy recipes from Birgit Frohn’s Natürlich Heilen und Pflegen mit Jojoba, which is listed in the Bibliography. The bibliography also lists many other sources from which aromatherapy recipes are available.
If you wish to forego the time and energy required to mix your own recipes, some wonderful combinations for dealing with specific personal issues may be found at Essence of Vali (www.essenceofvali.com).
Apply a few drops of this recipe to the neck, under the nose or on the abdomen: Combine 3 drops of sandalwood, 2 drops of rose oil, 2 drops of neroli, 1 drop of frankincense, 1 drop of jasmin, and 1 drop of ylang-ylang with 20ml (approx. 4 teaspoons) of HobaCare Jojoba
Facial Mask Recipe
This mask recipe is an effective alternative to normal oil treatments. It’s uncomplicated to mix and apply and especially good for oily skin. It cleans, refreshes and nourishes the skin. Add one egg yolk and a few drops of lemon juice to one teaspoon of HobaCare Jojoba.
Hair and Scalp Recipes
The following recipes are recommended for the indicated hair types or problems. To use the recipes, take the following steps:
First, divide the hair into manageable strands with a comb. Then soak a cotton cloth or cotton ball with the mixture, and apply the mixture to each strand of hair, from the root to the ends. Fasten the hair with a hair band and then wrap the hair in a towel. Leave the hair wrapped in the towel for at least half an hour and then rinse with lukewarm water.
Wash the hair with a mild shampoo.
- For Oily Hair: Add 12 drops of bergamot (citrus aurantium) and 13 drops of lavender to 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- For Dandruff: Add 10 drops of eucalyptus and 15 drops of rosemary to 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- For Bleached or Permed Hair: Add 15 drops of rose, 5 drops of geranium, 5 drops of sandalwood, and 5 drops of lavender to 50 drops of HobaCare Jojoba.
Massage limbs and joints employing the appropriate modality.
- Massage Recipe No. 1 for Rheumatism: Combine 7 drops of juniper oil, 4 drops of rosemary oil, 6 drops of meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria),5 drops of birch oil, and 5 drops of lemon oil with 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- Massage Recipe No. 2 for Rheumatism: Combine 30 drops of tea tree oil with 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- Massage Recipe for Relaxation: Combine 10 drops of sandalwood, 2 drops of coriander, 5 drops of camomile, 2 drops of rose, and 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba
Nails and Cuticles
Place the following mixture in a bowl deep enough to cover your nails and cuticles. Soak your fingertips (and toes, if you wish!!) for 10 minutes. If done in the evening, put on a pair of wool socks or cotton gloves after the treatment and go to bed.
Recipe for Nails and Cuticles: Add 4 drops of lavender, 4 drops of sandalwood, and 4 drops of cypress to 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
Skin Care Recipes for Everyday Use
- Recipe No. 1 for All Skin Types: 20 drops of rose, 5 drops of lavender, 5 ml of wheat germ oil, 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- Recipe No. 2 for All Skin Types: This recipe produces a cream. Combine 10 grams of Beeswax, 60 grams of HobaCare Jojoba, 1 Tablespoon of Honey and 1 Tablespoon of fresh pressed lemon juice.
- Preparation of Recipe No. 2 for All Skin Types: Melt the bees wax in a double boiler and then add the HobaCare Jojoba, stirring until blended. Add the honey and lemon juice and blend. Place in porcelain or ceramic container and refrigerate.
- Recipe for oily skin: Add 7 drops of cedar, 7 drops of cypress, 5 drops of incense, 5 drops of wheat germ oil to 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- Recipe for Sensitive Skin: Add 7 drops of camomile, 7 drops of rose, 5 drops of geranium, and 5 drops of wheat germ oil to 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
- Recipe for Mature Skin: 7 drops of incense, 7 drops of lavender, 5 drops of patchouli, 5 ml of wheat germ oil, and 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
Massage this recipe into the skin when you are ready to go to bed:
- Recipe to help you sleep: Add 7 drops of lavender, 5 drops of cedar, 2 drops of melissa (Melissa officinalis linne) and one drop of rose to 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.
We always recommend that you mix your own essential oils with a base or carrier of your choice–as opposed to purchasing pre-mixed products–unless you’re purchasing from Essence of Vali (www.essenceofvali.com). By mixing your own, you will know exactly what you have added to your base and in what strength. Please consult the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (www.NAHA.org) to obtain reliable sources for essential oils.
Please consult our Bibliography to obtain additional information about Aromatherapy.
Great for mutual massages of the entire body or regions of the body.
- Love Potion Recipe No. 1: Combine 15 drops of sandalwood, 2 drops of jasmine, 4 drops of ylang-ylang, and 4 drops of rose oil with 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of jojoba.
- Love Potion Recipe No. 2: Combine 1 drop of jasmine, 1 drop of rose, 6 drops of honey, and 2 drops of iris with 50ml (approx. 3 1/3 Tablespoons) of HobaCare Jojoba.